Follow These Tips to Keep Your Aligners Fresh
Taking proper care of your clear aligners is important to maintaining good oral health and ensuring your orthodontic treatment stays on track. Follow these tips for the experts at GoDontics™.
Patients of all ages love the advantages clear aligners can provide. Clear aligners are the only comfortable, removable, and virtually invisible way to get the smile of your dreams. But, it’s important to take proper care of your aligners to ensure your oral health, and to ensure the lifespan of your aligners.
The orthodontic experts at GoDontics™ provide customized clear aligner treatment for patients of all ages and have some tips on how to keep your aligner trays looking fresh so your mouth can stay healthy throughout treatment.
- Always rinse your aligners when taking them out. Make this a habit every time you remove your aligners. This is important because it will prevent saliva and plaque from drying on your aligners, which can lead to discoloration and staining.
- Never use hot or boiling water when rinsing or cleaning your aligners. Extremely high temperatures can warp the plastic, which will alter how the aligners can work.
- Brush and floss your teeth before placing the aligners back in your mouth. This is especially important after you eat so that you aren’t trapping food particles between your aligners and your teeth.
- Brush your trays at least twice a day. Using a soft-bristled toothbrush and clear, anti-bacterial soap, gently brush your aligners to keep them looking fresh and to remove any buildup that has accumulated on them. This can help prevent bad breath, as well.
- Never use toothpaste on your aligners. Toothpaste is too abrasive for the plastic of your aligners. While this abrasiveness is good at removing stains and stubborn plaque from your teeth, it will damage your aligners and make tiny scratches in them. Over time, bacteria can build up in these scratches and your aligners will become more susceptible to stains.
- Always remove your aligners if eating or drinking anything but plain water. Food and drink can get stuck between the aligners are your teeth, and while your aligners are strong, they aren’t built to withstand continued chewing forces. This could cause them to crack or break. And drinking beverages other than water can stain the aligners, which will make them more noticeable.
- Soak your aligners once a day. Soaking your aligners in either a special aligner soak or denture cleaner can help remove any bacteria that has built up on them during the day. Be sure to rinse thoroughly before placing back in your mouth.
- Always be ready. We know you lead a busy life, so be prepared to take care of your aligners while on the go. Keep a small aligner care kit with you that includes a carrying case to put the aligners in when you aren’t wearing them, as well as a travel toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss to keep your teeth clean after eating.
Clear aligners provide an excellent alternative to traditional braces and offer advantages that braces simply can’t. Knowing how to care for your aligners and your smile throughout treatment will ensure you have a successful time in treatment, and ensure your smile is as beautiful as it is functional once treatment is complete.